Thursday, October 21, 2010

Somebody who is knowledgeable about Paris, please help


Somebody who is knowledgeable about Paris, please help?
THIS LOOKS LIKE A LOT TO TAKE IN BUT IT IS JUST SOME SHORT QUESTIONS, PLEASE HELP! I am visiting Paris for 3 days at the end of May and need to work out an itinerary. There are many on the internet but they aren't very flexible so I'm attempting to create my own. I have a few questions which I would be grateful for someone who is knowledgeable about Paris to answer: 1) What is the best time to go up the Eiffel Tower? I was thinking just before sunset, to get a view in the light of day, then see the sunset and then see Paris at night, but I don't know what time sunset would be at the end of May, so if anyone knows that would also be helpful. 2) How long on average would you spend on the Eiffel Tower if you were to go to the top and also wanted to take the views in as you visited each floor? 3) Is it worth going inside the Pantheon? How long would you recommend in looking at the Pantheon (both if you were just looking outside or going inside)? 4) Would you recommend a picnic lunch in the Luxembourg gardens at around 2pm? 5) What is the weather and temperature usually like at the end of May/beginning of June? 6) As I am only there for 3 days, which sights are most worth seeing (obviously I won't be able to see everything in that short space of time)? 7) Are there any vintage markets? Clothing, jewelerry, trinkets, souvenirs etc that will be running during the time I'll be there? And what are they called and where are they? 8) Any recommendations for budget restaurants and cafes? 9) How long should we spend in the Louvre? 10) Any beautiful, not tourist infested places with lovely views and scenery, or pretty little streets which could be visited for photography purposes? 11) Affordable fashion shops & their location? 12) Lastly, anyone have an itinerary they think could be useful for me? Sorry this is a lot to ask, but I would be so so grateful, having no knowledge about Paris myself. Any other recommendations would also be very helpful.
Paris - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think I already answered most of your questions in your other post so here are some specifics: 1) If you go see the Eifel tower, make sure you see it first from Trocadero (there is a metro station there), which gives you the best "postcard" look for pictures. Sunset is amazing for this, as you can see the lights of the tower come on. The tower itself will always be crowded with long lines, so if you want to go up, plan to get there first thing in the morning. 2) (this is the wife, I'm american, he's Parisian), I didn't both going up. lots more to see in Paris without spending the day at the Tower. but the lines are the biggest problem, unless you want to walk. plan at least 1/2 a day to get to the top, due to lines or the time to climb. 3) (husband) No, it's not worth it. Check out wikipedia, if you want to see what it would look like. Better suggestion for some graves is Pere Lachaise, (there is a Metro by the same name). many famous people buried there. 4) (wife again) YES! or any of hte gardens, or the gardens outside the Eiffel Tower. You can find bread, cheese and fruits for a lovely time. 5) google it. 6) This is impossible to answer as I don't know your background, but for me (the wife, here) I wanted to see St. Germain area , Ile de la cite, etc. Travelwiki is a great place to start. and you MUST get chocolate while you are there. 7) DK 8) (wife here, again) resturants all around the city, once you get outside of the 1 or 2 blocks near the big tourist centers, will all have set menus for about 10-12 euros. such good food, inexpensive. Also, middle eastern "fast food" is everywhere for good kabobs and gyros!!! 9) It's too big to spend just one day, go to their site, and figure out what parts you want to see and plan accordingly. If you want to see Mona Lisa, expect to be in lines for about 1 to 2 hours. Again, as my husband said, Travel Wiki is your best bet, then google each official site you want to visit. the pages will be in English. Three days is very short, personally, I'd say choose 4 or 5 things max, and really enjoy those.