Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's a very shy, middle-aged, single woman to do


What's a very shy, middle-aged, single woman to do?
Ok, it's my turn to ask about Paris! I've been there several times, but I have always tended to keep to myself. I don't really talk to people (except my friend who lives there). I don't usually hang out at bars or cafes. However, I leave on the 18th for my next 10-day trip. My friend is going to be out of town or working for most of my stay, so I'm thinking it's time to expand my horizons a bit. Any suggestions for something safe and interesting to do in the evenings? I will be staying in a hotel near Jardin du Luxembourg... Oh, one more thing...any advice on going from Paris to Chartres for the day? I hear the cathedral is amazing.
Paris - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have just the place for you to go, my favorite hang out in Paris. Its Aux Trois Mailletz at 56 rue Galand in the 5th. Its just a fairly quick walk from where you are staying. There's a piano in the ground floor bar/restaurant and a variety of people who play and/or sing there. The music ranges from opera and well known French music (think Piaf and co.) to jazz and some rock later in the evening. From about 7:30 to 11:00 PM its usually Harrietta, a very pleasant lady who's been playing there for many years now, at the piano. Teicho, is on 4 nights a week after 11 and does some fine jazz. The crowd tends towards the middle age and even some seriously older folks (like yours truly) and a good mix of locals and tourists. People tend to be pretty friendly but I assure you that it will be safe and non-threatening for a single women. The staff are all good people. Say hello to Eric, the big guy who looks something like Lurch from the Adams Family or Tony, the Chinese manager who came to Paris from Shanghai 30 years ago and just stayed. If you're a bit more adventurous, and send me an e-mail, I can also send you the phone number of a buddy of mine, Sylvan, (age 42..and single by the way) who's a great piano player and works around town. [I have permission to give out his number] and he'll let you know where he is playing.
2 :
When you are in Paris, just buy "Pariscope" or "Officiel des Spectacles" These are update evry week,not expensive about 2 euro and present you all about theaters, restaurants, concerts (some are free for instance in Orsay museum, or churches) cabarets, bars, dining, dancing, etc...The official website of Paris, can give you good ideas for visiting Paris. May be you should also visit "the Chateau de Versailles" The best to go Versailles is RER C, and you get down at Versailles-Rive-Gauche-Chateau, (one day visit) To go to Chartres, there many trains, the main railway station in Paris to go to Chartres is Gare Montparnasse. (one hour from Paris) Paris is very safe, just avoid the wrong side of Paris 18 district, Boulevard de La Chapelle. Sorry for my english, I am french... Have a nice stay in Paris.
3 :
the hotel i stayed in provided guides and transportation to various locations outside of paris for a fee. they were all day trips. i took a loire chateaux trip and a cathedral trip. they cost about 60 dollars(US) but this was 10 years ago. i had the same guide for each trip and she was great (well informed, nice, funny, spoke 6 languages, answered any question about the sites or france). the trips were for up to 10 people, transportation was a minivan and lunch was included in the price. i was the only american on both trips, everyone else was british, australian and italian. we all ate lunch together and chatted in bistros designated by the guide. the food was great but wine wasn't included (you could order it and pay out of pocket) once at the sites i didn't have to stay with the group. i was free to go off on my own just had to be back at the van at the specified time. it was well worth the price (i definitely feel that they didn't charge enough!) ask about day trips at the front desk. chartres is amazing sorry i don't have an answer for your first question