Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Was the EU founded to combat nationalism


Was the EU founded to combat nationalism?
I'm not great at understanding politics, so I was wondering if someone could help me. Also, I'm quite young, and no one has explained this to me properly, so I came on here to see if someone could help me. Was the EU founded to ease nationalism, something that started the Second World War? And has this not had the opposite effect, as nationalist parties (such as the UKIP, PVV) seem to be very popular right now? Why did these countries specifically (France, Italy, West Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg) start the EU? Why these countries and not others? Why did the UK not have a hand in creating the EU, and only joined later on? Also, I would appreciate some anti and pro opinions, to get a better idea of how the EU works. From what I can see, peoples' concerns seem to be loss of national identity, immigration, and being ruled by people in another country. I've gathered that from newspapers and online opinions. But would like to hear positive aspects too. Sorry if some of what I've said is wrong, I've been trying to learn about it off internet articles, but I don't understand political terms. So easy explanations would be appreciated! Thankyou in advance. Alby- thanks for your answer. jtryan- thank you for your answer.
Other - Politics & Government - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That could be argued as one reason, but it was mostly to increase economic cooperation between European states for future prosperity, and believing that if all their economies were tied, it would prevent future war. So far it has prevented conflict.
2 :
EU was founded based on the economic (and to a lesser extent security) aspirations of its constituent member nations -- common currency, common economic agenda, common trade standards. For example, one goal at the time EU was founded, challenging the economic might of America.