Monday, February 7, 2011

European ATC license valid in the USA


European ATC license valid in the USA?
I am considering getting my air traffic controler's license in Europe (maybe in Switzerland or Luxembourg), but it is my intention to live and work in the USA. However, I found information that in order to be an ATC in the USA you need to be an American citizen. Would having a license bypass that requirement? It's hard to believe that American ATCs get jobs in Europe and that the other way around isn't possible...
Aircraft - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have no idea about whether you need citizenship to work in ATC in the US. I recommend that you go to www.faa.gov, and do some research. All of the requirements will be listed.
2 :
"It's hard to believe that American ATCs get jobs in Europe and that the other way around isn't possible." It might surprise you to learn that English is the international aviation language. More Americans speak English than Europeans; they even do it without an unintelligible accent. I don't know about citizenship requirements for ATC in the US.
3 :
I'm not sure but it would seem you would need another test. a lot of the regulations are different between the two.
4 :
Yes, you must be a US Citizen to be an ATC in the US. Having a license would not bypass this, it is considered a key requirement for employment.