Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I've been calling Europe from Africa on a cell phone, now my bill is 1600.USD! Should he help me pay it


I've been calling Europe from Africa on a cell phone, now my bill is 1600.USD! Should he help me pay it?
I am in the military in Africa. My boyfriend is a student in Europe. I would call him most of the time and I knew I would pay a lot, but not this much. When I asked him to help me pay he said he could not help me. I kicked him to the curb. I work and I am a student so I thought that he could get a job during his break or find money somewhere. We also went on vacation together and I paid for his flights and most of the meals and nights at the hotel. I hoped that he would be just as genorous with his money. Was I wrong for breaking up with him or is this just part of the European culture? He is from Luxembourg. Thank you all for the great answers so far. The money is not really an issue for me. I knew I would have to pay eventually. What concerns me is the fact that he said "I can't help you." I question if he would say this to me again, maybe when I would really need him. Was I wrong for breaking up with him because he would not help me or am I expecting too much?
Singles & Dating - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
He's sounds like he's taking advantage of you. I would most definately make him help pay for it.
2 :
You should make him pay half the phone bill.
3 :
well before you said that you bought him a bunch of stuff i was gonna say you cant just expect some 1 to pay youre phone bill, thats something you have to think about b4 you make the calls, but after reading it all, he sounds like a dea beat, but something to take in2 consideration is, did he have the money?, if so than hes definately a dead beat, if you help him he should help you
4 :
He's cheap. You're right to get rid of him. How come he's not helping even just for a few hundred, at least he can show some efforts even if it's not half. You paid for his vacation! Sorry that you had to learn from $1,600 later..
5 :
If he were the one calling you all the time, that would be a different story. But as I read it, it seems you are the one doing the calling. That being the case, it is definitely your bill and not his. However, with the trip and everything, it sounds like he should have paid his way at least. And it sounds like the break-up was a good idea. I don't think it is part of the culture, but even if it is, that's one more barrier to get over and so is one more reason to stay away.
6 :
you just had a great decision of breaking up with him.. and i think there's no chance at all of making him help you pay for the bill.. hope you've learned your lessons on that. remember that in a relationship, the guy must pay most of the expenses you're incurring in your relationship.
7 :
you were the one calling him and ran up your own bill. if the two of you didn't have an agreement to share the cost of the bill when you first started calling him then he doesn't have to pay for anything and you can't make him. while he did take advantage of you, you dumped him because he didn't want to pay for a bill he didn't help you create, so what can he do about it? nothing.
8 :
Sounds like he was using you to pay for everything and whats more superising "YOU DID IT" glad you finally woke up and did it.
9 :
You're kidding right? It's your phone bill and you were the one who decided to call him every time you picked up the phone. You should have checked into the cost beforehand. I'm sure if you had just used a landline, the calls would have been a fraction of that. Any cell phone bill that's $1600 means that you messed up and there is no way he should bear the burden of your mistake. The whole vacation thing is ridiculous, since I'm sure you offered to pay for the trip to get him to go with you. You're just bringing it up now to justify why he should pay for your phone bill. The real lesson is that now you know "he just wasn't [$1600] in to you."